May is Healthy Vision Month! Did you know that there are multiple ways you can promote healthy vision? One of the best ways is to get an eye exam regularly. Eye exams can provide early detection of vision problems and possible health conditions and taking steps to promote healthy vision is something you can do every single day! Here are 6 different ways you can keep your eyes and body healthy.
- Schedule a Yearly Eye Exam. Regular eye exams go far beyond detecting blurry vision. In addition to serious health conditions, many eye diseases, such as glaucoma and cataracts, can also be detected early through annual eye exams.
- Drink Water. Dehydration can greatly affect your eyes in addition to the rest of your body. Dehydration can worsen eye strain and dry-eye symptoms and can even cause blurred vision. Make sure water is a regular part of your day to keep your eyes healthy and protected.
- Eat Well. Your diet affects your vision. There are key nutrients in leafy greens, berries, beets, citrus, and even foods with high omega 3s that are important for helping to maintain healthy vision.
- Exercise. Many eye diseases are related to high-blood pressure and diabetes. Exercising 4 times a week can lower your blood pressure and eye pressure, which may reduce your risk for disease*.
- Cover Up. Just like sunscreen is important for your skin, sunglasses and hats are important for your eyes. Protect against harmful UV rays by wearing your sunglasses while the sun is shining.
- Limit Screen Exposure. Digital eye strain can cause visual discomfort as well as dry eyes, blurred vision, and headaches. Give your eyes a break throughout the day and look at something other than a screen!
Put your vision first this month and every month going forward. Schedule an appointment today.
*Glaucoma Research Foundation, https://www.glaucoma.org/q-a/can-exercise-lower-eye-pressure.php